The full Jobcentre Plus Mirror Twitter pilot for Cumbria is now up and available for general perusal and amusement. Try not to point and laugh too much. There are five followable Twitter accounts which cover geographically separate areas of this fine county. They are, in no particular order:
- @JCPM_WCumbria for the West Cumbrian coastal plain. It’s concomitant with the Jobcentre Mirror Database‘s West Cumbria web-page and consists of posts made at the Maryport, Workington, Whitehaven and Cleator Moor JCP Offices.
- @JCPM_Carlisle for the mighty city of Carlisle and its surrounds, including places such as Wetheral and Brampton (vacancies posted in the Carlisle office exclusively)
- @JCPM_Furness for the Furness district, Barrow-in-Furness, Ulverston, Millom and Grange-over-Sands (vacancies posted in the Barrow-in-Furness office exclusively).
- @JCPM_SCumbria for South East Cumbria including what most people regard as ‘The Lakes’, so Grasmere, Kendal, and Windermere (vacancies posted in the Kendal office exclusively).
- @JCPM_ECumbria for the East Cumbria, including the annexed Westmorland, so Penrith, Appleby and Kirkby Stephen (vacancies posted in the Penrith office exclusively).
Cockermouth's former Jobcentre Plus office
The idea is that you ‘follow’ the appropriate Twitter account and receive timely notification of vacancies local to your area. It’s OK to follow more than one. Somebody in Wigton might want to follow both @JCPM_Carlisle and @JCPM_WCumbria, as an example.
Since these feeds are largely automated, I’ve set up @JCPM_Feedback for your comments, feedback and 140 character long rants. I’ll try to keep a reasonably close eye on this account. The usual disclaimers and exhortations to provide feedback apply. It should be noted that Twitter isn’t the most reliable platform, so if a tweet is missed, sorry.
What about my important town or district? I hear you ask. Good point, and I can produce additional related Twitter accounts. Setting-up Twitter accounts is a deliberately long-winded affair and has been specifically designed not to be automated. I have to do this stuff by hand, so, I’ll set them up, but you’ve got to ask me nicely.
Finally, I’ve stopped the automated random posting to @JCPM_National, until I can figure out what I’m going to do with it. Even the conservative posting schedule it was running into poorly documented limits on Twitter. The extreme randomness of the tweets, that actually made it, probably caused this stream rather a lot of ‘noise’ too. So, best to stop, less I am considered a spammer, or worse.
Cumbria is a large county in the north west of England, if you’re not totally familiar with the geography.